Quilting fabrics is the process of sewing more than two layers of fabric together. Usually, quilting is used to create more padding on fabrics as seen on some bed covers, and their decorative fabric works.
According to experts, the first quilting works date between 100 and 200 BC with many communities using it to create various fabric works. Today, quilting is being used with much value put in the kind of fabric material used, not forgetting the level of artwork. If you are looking for the perfect quilting fabric then you should consider the following;
Types of quilting fabric
This is a soft, semitransparent fabric that is common with female clothing. Voile offers a soft touch in quilting, and some people prefer using this fabric without backing it with other fabrics. Other than using voile for quilting, note that you are free to use different kinds of fabric paddings. However, you will want to keep this fabric on the inner surface, which is expected to stay in contact with your body.
- QUALITY: Pure voile Chiffon Fabric. Silky soft finish High quality white sheer Fabric mostly used in soft furnishings.
- USES: White voile fabric is used for decorating wedding and events. It is versatile and use for Backdrop Curtain -wedding arch -Draping Panels - Masking, Covering, Sheer Panels, Crafts, Event Panels, Apparel Roll mostly used on pipe and drape backgrounds and ceilings.
- FEATURES: It is a light weight fabric and allows the air to pass through, providing comfort even on the most scorching day. Due to its fine texture, voile fabric can also be used to line garments.
- SIZE: Voile fabric use for backdrop curtain 30 feet by 120 inches wide. Chiffon sheer fabric comes in size of 10 yards, Kindly make yourself clear and convinced when you buy the product that you are only Purchasing from New Star Fabrics, because we do not want you to compromise on quality.
- WASH CARE: Wash by hand in cold water, allow it to air dry hung on a hanger, iron on low heat, covering with a press cloth.
2. Essex linen
This is a magnificent blend of fabrics consisting of p 45% cotton and 55% linen. Whether you are quilting something to cover yourself during cold or just getting creative with your home decor, this fabric offers the perfect blend that assures of quality.
The texture is what many people consider when considering to use this fabric because it is ideal to feel and look at. For more compelling quilting works, some people prefer using additional materials when quilting with Essex linen.
- Fabric Type: 55% Linen/45% Cotton
- Import Designation: Made in the USA or Imported
- Fabric care instructions: Machine Wash Cold/Tumble Dry Low
- 44'' wide. Fabric is sold by the yard and cut to order. For example, order of 1 yard (Qty=1) is 44'' x 36''. Order of 3 yards (Qty=3) is 44'' x 108''.
- Perfect for fine linens, heirloom projects, blouses, shirts, fuller skirts & dresses, and light jackets.
3. Home décor weight cotton
This is a common fabric in homes, and it usually is used for quilting pillows, cushions and to create extra soft padding in most homes. Although it can be used for straight-up filling, you should know that you will need an exceptionally high batting because the décor weight cotton is heavy.
You will, however, want to keep this quality quilting fabric from making wearables because it does not drape well and requires more effort to dry.
- Excellent Design: This Elome damask tablecloth features elegant floral printed in premitive linen fabric, which will add a touch of splash to any existing home decor.
- Material: 100% cotton linen; It will not stick your skin when having dinner,not hot and humid,breathable.
- 【How to choose: Table cloth length = Table length + 15"~23"】Care Instructions: Machine wash cold delicate, hand wash best; lay flat to dry
- Price for damask tablecloth table cloths only, other decorations are not included. Our store will update matching Table Runner, Place Mat, and etc.
- Suitable for dinner table,coffee table,patio,gardens,book desk,storage table etc,indoor,or picnic outdoor.
4. Quilter’s linen
The quilters’ linen is not linen but a cotton fabric that looks almost like linen. It even has the appearance and texture of linen added to its soft padding features. It is a unique type of quilting fabric that is easy to work with and can easily be mistaken for plain old cotton.
- Needham, Cindy (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 96 Pages - 07/15/2007 (Publication Date) - American Quilter's Society (Publisher)
5. Quilter’s weight cotton
This is perhaps the most used quilting fabric in the industry. Made up of pure cotton, this fabric offers the ultimate quilting fabric that has not only been seen in home décor and accessories but on clothes as well.
However, you need to keep in mind that this fabric is prone to shrink, but that does not prevent it from being one of the best quilting fabrics in the globe. To avoid dealing with the shrinking problem, you may have to pre-wash the material before sewing with it. You will also want to ensure that the other fabrics that you want to use with the quilter weight cotton.
- 100% pure cotton batting.
- Beautiful, soft & warm.
- Highest grade USA cotton. Carded, crosslapped, needlepunched for strength & quality.
- Finished quilt may be gently machine washed and dried.
- Excellent for hand and machine quilting.
Quilting is an art that has been passed down many generations. However, the kind of quilting fabrics available today is nothing as was seen in the past. Quilters know that getting the right combination of quilting materials is the best way to quilt quality accessories. The hardest part of getting the right combination, however, is having to test every fabric that you come across blindly.
The array of fabric colours and patterns available in the market can tempt you to want to quilt everything, but that is not a recommended move. It is advisable to use quilting fabrics that have been tested and proved since most fabrics will only give you imperfect quality quilts.