Some of the links on this site are Amazon affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your continued support!
Arguably the most important tool in your sewing machine and indeed your sewing kit is your needle. It can be frustrating to try and sew with a blunt needle, so let’s talk about how to sharpen a sewing needle.
How to see if your needle needs sharpening
Sewing needles actually have very long lives so you don’t really need to throw out a needle every time it become slightly blunt. To see if it needs sharpening or not, hold the needle between your fingers so the point is facing down.
With the index finger or pinky of your other hand, run the tip of your fingernail down the needle. If your fingernail catches anywhere, the needle is blunt or damaged and you need to sharpen it.
A smooth, sharp needle won’t catch onto your fingernail.
Note: Before trying any of this, hold up the needle and make sure that it is straight. There’s no point sharpening a bent needle!
Three easy ways to sharpen a sewing needle
These three methods to sharpen a needle should get you going. I would recommend using method 1 and method 2 for when the point is actually blunted, and method 3 if the needle has just become a little rough and needs some polishing.
1. Using an emery board
Using an emery board is one of the most effective ways to sharpen a needle, period. They’re also easily available in most households, as many nail clippers have one built in to them. They’re also the same things you use to buff and polish fingernails.
Ideally, the grit on the board should be very fine since you’re working with such a fine point.
Next, grab some sewing machine oil and put a drop or two(not too much) on to the board. This is just to improve lubrication and dissipate heat better.
Hold the emery board down flat on a table to keep it stable. Next, hold the needle between your finger and thumb in a way that you can twirl the needle between your fingers. The twirling motion is important as it will allow you to evenly sharpen the needle.
Place the needle at a low angle on the emery board and run it across a few times with some pressure. As you run it across, twirl the needle between your fingers so all sides of the needle are sharpened.
Check using the fingernail test I detailed above if the needle is sufficiently sharpened. If not, repeat until you get the desired sharpness.
Bestseller No. 1
Makartt Fine Nail Buffer Block Shiny Nail Buffer 10PCS Natural Nail Polisher for Natural Nails Nail File 400 and 6000 Grit, F-06
- NATURAL SHINY NAILS - Designed to give your fingers and toenails a high gloss shine without polishing top coat, which can last up to two weeks, Makartt Fine Nail Buffer is to improve blood circulation to the nail bed for healthy and amzing nails, keeping your nails strong and looking great.
- EASY TO USE & QUICK EFFECT - Just need two steps and take a minute. Firstly, use the GREEN side (400 Grit) to smoothen and even out nail surface; Then, pull back and forth on the WHITE side (6000 Grit) to polish the nail tips to an attractive shine. You can quickly get great smooth nails. Perfect DIY manicure tools at your home, saving time and money for you!
- HIGH QUALITY SOFT NAIL BUFFER FOR NATURAL NAILS - The cushion nail buffers utilize top branded washable EVA foam and flexible plastic board, very good elasticity, not easy to break, which is soft and gentle to buffer your natural nails.
- PORTABLE NAIL BUFFER - Mini size: 6.69 x 0.79 x 0.2 inch, which is convenient and comfortable to grip and polish your nail tips and suitable to fit into your purse, handbag or toiletry bag, manicure anytime and anywhere.
- MAKARTT PROMISE - We are specialized in manicure & pedicure products, every Makartt products will be tested by our testing team to ensure your good shopping experience, sincerely hope our product beautify and light your life. Makartt encourages innovation and share. Any suggestions about our products, welcome to share with us.
2. Using an emery strawberry
Emery strawberries are something you’ll find in most sewing kits. If you have a tomato pincushion, you’ll see there is a little strawberry dangling from it’s side.
The strawberry is filled with emery sand, and you can use the sand to sharpen your needle.
Just stick the needle into the emery strawberry and give it a few turns before pulling it out. That should sufficiently polish it. Again, you can use the fingernail test to see if it’s sufficiently sharpened.
SaleBestseller No. 1
Dritz NR-356 Tomato Pin Cushion, Each, Red
- CONVENIENT - keeps pins and needles close at hand
- PRACTICAL - use attached emery to sharpen and clean pins and hand needles
- ICONIC - classic tomato shape; a staple for all sewists, quilters and crafters
- INCLUDES - one 2-3/4-inch tomato pin cushions with strawberry emery
Bestseller No. 2
Singer Fashion Pin Cushion Strawberry Emery
- SINGER-Fashion Pin Cushion with Strawberry Emery
- Insert pins and needles into the emery to sharpen points
- Made in United States
- Helps to keep pins and needles in one convenient location for easy access
- Insert pins and needles into emery to sharpen points
Bestseller No. 3
Nakpunar 8 Oz Emery Sand Powder to Fill Pin Cushions - Make Your Own Abrasive Pincushions
- 8 oz Abrasive Emery Pincushion filling (Brown or Black color due to rock's color)
- 60 Grit Abrasive Emery Sand also known Emery Grain, Emery Mineral, Emery Powder
- It'll keep your needles clean, sharp and easy to use
- 1 lb Emery Sand is equal to 1 cup
- With 1 lb emery you can fill 3, 5 oz pincushions in 2"x3.5" diameter (it may different due the shape)
Bestseller No. 4
Tomato Pin Cushion with Emery Strawberry for Sewing, Red, 2.75 Inch
- 1.Tomato Pin Cushion is made from extra durable quality to last a generation.
- 2.Handy size for holding longer pins. The size is 7cm (2.75 Inch). Provides a safe place to store pins and needles.
- 3.The Tomato Pin Cushion provides a safe place to store pins. Keeps your pins and needles safe and within reach, the strawberry emery will help to keep them sharp and free of burrs that could snag your fabrics.
- 4.Strawberry emery is used to sharpen and clean pins and needles.
- 5.A staple item for all sewers and crafters.
Bestseller No. 5
Classic Set, 150 Premium Glass Head Multicolor Sewing Pins with Original Classic Tomato Pin Cushion. Premium Quality.
- This is a must have to complete your classic sewing box. It’s the classic set… the one your grandma used…
- Set includes 1 classic tomato pin cushion and 150 Glass head multicolor pins (1.25 inch long). It’s the classic set… the one your grandma used…
- The Tomato Pin Cushion provides a safe place to store pins. Keeps your pins and needles safe and within reach, the strawberry emery will help to keep them sharp and free of burrs that could snag your fabrics.
- Glass head pins: Perfect for marking or decorating your sewing or crafting projects. These pins come in a variety of beautiful colors that make them easy to see when sewing or add color to any craft projects. These are great when working with layers or bulky fabric
- Made from extra durable quality to last a generation. Try it you, will love it! Guaranteed!
Bestseller No. 6
Milisten 2Pcs 5CM Pin Cushions Tomato Shaped Wearable Needle Pincushions Needle Holder for DIY Craft Handmade Sewing Quilting Pins Holder
- A safe place to store your pins. Keep your pins and needles safe and organized within reach.
- Great for Mothers Day, Christmas, Birthdays, Brides, Bridesmaids and Hostess, ect.
- An ideal gift for your children, beginners, college students, crafters, teens, moms, grandmas, etc.
- Easy to carry. Handy size for sewing basket. You can carry it with you anywhere you like.
- Fashion design. These pin cushions have an attractive and eye-catching cute tomato pin-up patterns which is appealing to lots of women. You cant wait to show them to your friends.
SaleBestseller No. 7
30-Count Assorted Hand Sewing Needles Large Eye Set, 3 Pack with Tomato Pin Cushion,Thimble,Needle Threader
- Metal stitching needles with large eye,Set of all different size hand sewing needles.
- 30 Assorted hand needles per pack; 3 Packs per set with one tomato pin, cushion,one thimble,one Needle threader,and each needle have two colors which makes them easy to see when we drop them.
- Features:For most sewing works, such as embroidery, darning, quilting, crafting, etc.
Suitable for leather, denim, silk, canvas and cotton
- This convenient assortment makes it easy to keep a variety of needles on hand
- These Needles are in different size , you can use them for many purpose.such as for carpets, canvas, upholstery, coats, tents, mattresses, furs and leather
Bestseller No. 8
2" Aqua Blue Emery Pin Cushion - Keep Your Needles Clean & Sharp
- Beautiful Aqua Blue Pincushion handmade in US in our studio. Keep your needle & pins clean and sharp with this unique pincushion while sewing.
- 2" wide and 1.25" high. It has 3.4 oz Emery Sand. Large size available which filled with 1 lb emery. Please search : B00BL7VH6C
- Used high quality velvet fabric and a beautiful rhinestone to decorate. Velvet don't show pin holes. It looks always brand new. Perfect gift for tailors, fashion students, crafters, quilters and who love to sew.
- Emery sand is very abrasive crushed rock and mixed with abrasive minerals as seen at traditional strawberry pincushions comes with tomato pincushions. While that one has tiny bit emery inside, this has 3.4 oz emery.
- We try to send the pincushion with same decoration seen on the picture. You may get different decoration with same quality and different style.
Bestseller No. 9
with Clover Needle polishing pin Cushion Hedgehog 23-052
- A cute pin cushion with hedgehog looking.
- A small acorn shaped needle sharpner is attached to the actual pin cushion
- Do not use the needle sharpner with the new needle. Use the sharpner when the needle get unsmooth
3. Using a bar of soap
If you feel the point of the needle is okay, but the rest of the needle is a bit scratched and requires some polishing to make it work smoother, you can stick the needle a couple of times in and out of a bar of soap.
The beauty of using soap here is that it won’t damage your fabric either. When you wash the fabric, any soap residue will just wash out.
The soap helps lubricate the needle and remove any unwanted friction from scratches.
How to polish a needle to make it look new
Once you’ve sharpened your needle to satisfaction using the emery method, the last step is to polish it and get it back to that shiny factory-finish.
For this, you’ll either need some toothpaste(that has polishing crystals in it) or some car polishing medium. Take a tiny dab of the polishing medium onto a piece of scrap cloth and run the needle over it, using the same twirling motion you used during sharpening.
You may notice that a blackish residue forms as you do this process. This is a good sign, as it shows the needle is actually becoming polished.
Finally, clean off any leftover toothpaste or car polish from the needle using soap and water, and dry thoroughly.
Enjoy your fresh, shiny new needle!