Some of the links on this site are Amazon affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your continued support!
The recent upsurge in craftiness has seen more people take up skills like sewing. You can take up sewing lessons on social media or find sewing workshops near you and get involved. This way you will surround yourself with people who share the same interest as you.
Sewing doesn’t have to be a daunting task but let’s be honest; it can take you a few hours to even weeks depending on different factors. These include the complexity of the design, time and availability of materials.
How Long Does it Take to Sew a Dress?
To be honest, sewing time is dependent on various variables. They include;
- Experience: Your ability to sew a dress whether simple or intricate will depend entirely on your experience. If you are a beginner then it will take you more time to sew a simple dress.
- Time: You can decide to sew either full time or as a hobby and this will definitely affect the period you take to complete a dress.
- Materials: Availability of tools required to sew a dress will greatly influence the whole process. If you sew with a machine it will take you a shorter time compared to hand sewing.
- Design: A simple dress will take a shorter time unlike a complicated one even to an experienced seamstress. It all comes down to the production process and techniques.
How to Make a Dress from a Pattern
The next step after learning to sew is to use a pattern which is a template for tracing onto fabric. It will provide you with a wide range of creations to choose from. You can use a simple pattern to an intricate one depending on your level of experience.
You can easily make your own variation using printable patterns available online(or make your own patterns). Get lost on You Tube and Pinterest for a few hours and get inspirations on different patterns.
This way you will get an idea of how others have used the same pattern on different fabrics.
This article will guide you on how to create a dress from a pattern;
- Prepare your fabric. You may not be aware but it is advisable to wash your fabric before sewing. Some fabrics shrink or run and it is better to deal with that early on. Dry and press to remove creases and folds.
- Understand the Pattern. Make use of the manual that comes with the pattern to understand the pieces required. It will guide you on how to cut out the template, construct your garment and the sizing.
- Be sure to also check if the pattern comes with seam allowance or you will be required to include them. Note the grain lines, notches, dots and button markings.
- Mark and Cut out the Pattern. Choose the right size according to your measurements and bear in mind multi-sized patterns. Make use of a tracing wheel, tailor’s chalk to clearly mark out the corresponding lines.
- Cut out the layout in line with the size, width and size of fabric. Use paper scissors rather than fabric scissors. Press your pattern pieces using iron to remove creases.
- Cut the Fabric. Lay your fabric on a flat surface or the floor using the guide. Smooth it out to remove any folds or creases. Pin the pattern on the fabric or use pattern weights. Be sure to leave a seam allowance.
- Use a fabric scissor to cut around the pattern and through the fabric bearing in mind minute details like grain lines.
- Transfer the Pattern. The last step before sewing is to transfer all the markings on your pattern to your fabric. These include darts, buttonholes and pockets. This will provide accuracy and save you time.
You can check the height and size of the fabric one more time to make sure all the pieces are in the right place. It is easier and quicker using a sewing machine. You can alternatively hand sew though it more cumbersome and time consuming.
Where to Get Fabric From
You’ve probably taken up that sewing class but wonder where to get fabric from. That should not worry you since are readily available. They can be quite expensive depending on the quality, size and the design required.
If you don’t have time, you can easily find online sources that sell on-trend fabrics. Online shops provide you with pre-cut or by yard fabrics.
Alternatively, you can make a trip to your local fabric store. Here you will get the chance to personally select a fabric of your choice.
Bestseller No. 2
100PCS BcPowr 4" x 4" (10cmx10cm) Craft Fabric, Craft Patchwork Bundle Top Cotton Fabric Squares Lint DIY Sewing Scrapbooking Quilting Dot Pattern Artcraft
- Package includes: 100pcs pattern random fabric patchwork. Size: 10 cm x 10 cm/ 4 inch x 4 inch. Material: 100% high quality cotton, soft and durable.
- Machine cut; the bundle of pre-cut squares are nice to sew. Also can be used by scissors, the material would also work for any craft, pillows, hand puppet.
- Cotton fabric squares are perfect for cutting into shapes, making costumes, decorations, bulletin board backdrops and school projects. Easy to iron and safe for kids, item good for many craft projects and sewing diy craft.
- Nice assortment printed patterns suitable for quilts, cushion covers, small purses, toys, making storage box, shoulder bags, key chain, mouse pad, coin bags, table cloth, etc. Really an endless list of possibilities.
- They are also excellent material for making home decorations, such as artificial flowers, tissue boxes, coasters, christmas tree and gifts.
Bestseller No. 3
BYY 15.7"x19.7" 14pcs Twill Solid Cotton Fabric for Sewing,Fat Quarters Fabric Bundles Quilting Supplies
- Material:100% cotton;Design: Solid color
- Size: About 15.7" x 19.7" (40cm*50cm);Packing: 14pcs candy color,each color one piece
- Eco-friendly prints fabric, soft and comfortable ,breathable, heat-resistant, moisture absorption.
- Cotton fabric squares are perfect for cutting into shapes, making costumes, decorations, bulletin board backdrops and school projects.
- Used for pillows, cushions, doll cloth, quilting, patchwork, scrapbook, kids bedding and other needlework sewing.
SaleBestseller No. 4
BYY 56pcs/lot 9.8" x 9.8" (25cm x 25cm) No Repeat Design Printed Floral Cotton Fabric for Patchwork, Sewing Tissue to Patchwork,Quilting Squares Bundles
- Material: 100% cotton Fabric (thin)
- Size: About 9.8"x9.8"(25cm*25cm) ; Patterns:Floral,dots,stripe,stars
- Package: 56 pieces different designs cotton
- Eco-friendly prints fabric, soft and comfortable,breathable.
- Suitable for bag, wallet, purse, baby clothes, quilting patchwork, kids bedding and many other sewing crafts.
How Long Does it Take to Make Your Own Wedding Dress
You probably have the wedding date in mind and you decide to make your own wedding dress. The process is quite laborious, time consuming but equally fulfilling wearing your own design that special day.
It is advisable to start your creation a few months earlier to a year in advance. This will give you an ample time to go through all the necessary steps. It all starts with the initial drafts of the design and assembling the required materials.
You should make a point to visit the fabric store near you and flip through the different patterns available. Decide on your style and the type of silhouette to suit your body. If you are a beginner, don’t jump headlong into your creation. Sharpen your skills on a simpler design and get a hang of things.
Wedding dresses are more intricate and each piece should fit like a puzzle for that glamorous look. You should also put into consideration the finishing of the gown. These include hems, seams, overlays, sleeves and liners. All these details will require a lot of time and patience from your end.
You should finish your wedding dress a few weeks before the wedding day. This will allow for corrections if any and also to get your mind off sewing as it can be quite draining.
Make a mental note on your wedding style, weather, pattern and formality. The whole process may sound difficult and time consuming but it will be worth it in the long run.