Embroidery machines enable you to create beautiful and intricate patterns with the utmost accuracy.
From elegant running stitches to gorgeous French knots and floral designs that are works of art in their own right, your embroidery machine will enable you to achieve amazing effects with ease, whether you are a beginner or advanced user.
Stitches and patterns that would take hours or even days to complete by hand can be completed in a matter of minutes when you opt to use an embroidery machine.
So in this post we’ve put together a list of embroidery machines for beginners so you can get started in this rewarding and fun hobby.
Who knows, maybe you’ll open an embroidery business, too!
Embroidery has been popular for decades and is also among the most popular hobbies for people who love playing with needles.
Depending on the features and the quality of the machine, there are different kinds on the market that are priced at a few hundred bucks while some could even cost you as much as five grand.
Here’s a list of some of the best embroidery machines on the market.
Best Embroidery Machine for Beginners: More Contenders
1. Brother PE770 Embroidery Machine: Our Top Pick
The Brother PE770 is a well-facilitated embroidery machine that features plenty of space for larger designs and lettering, and also a backlit display to view and edit your designs before stitching. Additionally, designs can be easily imported through a USB port or the SD card slot using appropriate storage units.
The machine features six lettering fonts, 136 built-in designs, 12 border styles, and 10 frame shapes. It also comes with an auto thread cutter that lets you stitch and trim the threads easily and quickly. What is more interesting is that the device is compatible with iBroidery, which allows users to download thousands of embroidery designs from www.iBroidery.com including licensed cartoon characters from Nickelodeon, Disney and more
The package includes a dust cover, embroidery arm, power cord, instruction manual, needle set, cleaning brush, and some other must-have items. It’s also backed by a 25-year limited warranty.
- One of the best-priced embroidery machines
- Easy threading of both top and bobbin
- Multiple design selections
- Extended and expandable memory
- Black and white images and designs which kind of look like a blob
- Images are hard to edit
- Not being careful with the machine will require plenty of servicing
For you to appreciate the Brother PE770 Embroidery Machine better, here is a great video previewing it.
This is one of the best embroidery machines on the market that is available at an affordable price, making it especially great for beginners who are not willing to lash out a big amount of cash for higher-end models.
The machine is incredibly easy to use, and one of its best features has to be the needle threader which works even better than a few expensive machines. Also, the product’s package consists of everything you need. Overall, it offers great value for money.
Looking to get into sewing, not necessarily embroidery? Check out our favorite sewing machines for beginners.
2. SINGER Futura XL-400 Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The XL-400 is another powerful yet affordable solution for embroidery enthusiasts. It comes with 125 built-in embroidery designs, 30 sewing stitches, outline lettering, and five different fonts.
This machine also comes with a SwiftSmart threading system that will automatically guide the thread from the spool to the needle location. It is also integrated with a Drop and Sew bobbin system, which eliminates the need to pull the bobbin thread up manually.
With a maximum embroidery hoop of 10 by 6 inches and a multi-hoop option, you will have enough space to work on different projects. What makes working with this machine easier, especially for the eyes, is the fact that it has 120V, 60Hz LED lights.
This SINGER machine is compatible with VP3, FHE, PES, HUS, DS, and more formats, as well as has speed controls for both forward and backward stitches. However, there are certain requirements for the device software to be compatible with your computer. Nonetheless, using the software on your computer allows you to combine multiple designs, customize colors, add lettering, and more in a single design.
- Supports a variety of design formats
- Great user control
- Lots of customizable features
- Large working space
- No or less eye strain
- Some cases of shipment of faulty products from the company
- Thread tends to tangle on the spool stand
Overall, this is a fantastic embroidery machine from Singer that can do it all. It’s not priced too much and still comes with a remarkable amount of features for smooth embroidering. Keep in mind that it’s a low-end model with limited facilities, so there are bound to be certain shortcomings, but you can’t complain too much because of its magnificent value for money.
3. Janome MB4N Four-Needle Embroidery Machine
The company claims that the Janome MB4N is the “World’s First” four-needle embroidery machine designed for home use. This four-needle embroidery machine is among the expensive, higher-end models on the market that offers complete embroidering facilities.
The machine comes with a powerful backlit LCD screen, USB port, auto thread cutter, and a simple drag-and-drop function for easy editing. It has a maximum embroidery speed level of 800 SPM. This unit also comes with four Janome hoops but is also compatible with six, industry-grade Tajima hoops.
- External memory capabilities
- User-friendly control buttons
- Quick design picking
- Really expensive
The price tag attached to this machine might feel too scary for some, but if we look at the features, this machine undoubtedly offers good value for money. The four-needle thread can be used for all kinds of embroidering while the backlit display allows a superb view of your designs.
Additionally, you can be assured that it’s going to last for years to come. It’s not recommended to start your embroidering hobby with this industry-grade machine though, even if you can afford it because it is quite powerful.
Best Sewing and Embroidery Machine: One Machine with Two Functions
Finding the best sewing and embroidery machine can be a tedious task considering the endless options available in the market. This is why we’re here to help you make a choice by looking into one of the best sewing and embroidery machine that may be a viable option for your needs. Learn more about this product as you check out this review that focuses on its features, benefits, and limitations.
Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The Brother SE400 is a sewing and embroidery machine in one, with features that give users an efficient time in completing their projects.
Features of this embroidery machine:
The Brother SE 400 is a machine that you can use for your sewing and embroidery projects. While it may appear pricey with its high-end look, the price tag is anything but hefty. It’s a reasonably-priced sewing and embroidery machine that comes with an array of features including the following:
1. Patterns and Stitches
Sewing is made easier with this unit that includes a total of 98 stitch functions and 67 different sewing stitches. Simply select from your preferred stitch style according to what you need for your project.
As for the embroidery function, there are five lettering fonts, 120 combinations of frame patterns, and 70 decorative designs to choose from. You can even gain access to more designs by importing them from your PC. From basic to intricate stitches and patterns, you’ll be amazed by what this brilliant machine can do.
2. Ease of Use
Even if you’re only a newbie in sewing or embroidery, you’ll find it quick to learn the ropes and use this machine correctly. There are built-in tutorials, a quick start guide, and an LCD monitor with intuitive features to help you get to where you want to go with your project. In no time, you’ll be completing projects one after another without any issue holding you back from using this machine.
With user-friendly components and tutorials that will guide you along as you explore what this machine has in store for you, you’ll experience the ease in using this unit all the time.
The Brother SE 400 has multiple functions that take the stress out in sewing and embroidery. As mentioned, there’s touch-screen LCD with a backlight and a properly illuminated workspace, so there’s no need to rely on task lighting to see what you’re working on.
The LCD screen also allows you to do a wide range of functions such as viewing tutorials, using the design editing features, and gaining access to the built-in designs. Plus, you can import designs by connecting the machine to the computer for even greater options.
4. Efficiency and Convenience
Tired of taking too long when threading a needle? The Brother SE 400 comes with an automatic needle threader that can be activated with just a single touch. This means that you no longer have to go through the initial hurdle when sewing since threading a needle is fast and easy.
What’s more is that there are seven-point feed dogs, which makes it seamless to feed the fabric. Then, there’s the brilliant bobbin-winding system that prepares the bobbins in a snap for a hassle-free threading experience.
5. Work Area
There’s no need to work on a project in a cramped space since this sewing and embroidery machine by Brother offers a roomy embroidery area that measures 4″ x 4″ in dimension. That’s plenty of space for your fabric, preventing you from stuffing everything in a limited work area.
6. Designed for Newbies and Professionals
The Brother SE 400 offers a wide array of accessories and functions all in one compact and portable unit. There are numerous choices for the patterns, styles, and designs available depending on your needs. This is why it’s a practical machine whether you’re an experienced crafter or sewer, as well as a fashion designer who’s just starting out in this field.
There are several things that we like about this product including:
- Option to Download or Import Designs: We like how this machine has computer connectivity, so it’s seamless to import our choice of designs from the PC. In case the available designs do not suffice, then you’ll have more options once you download a few more patterns that will go perfectly with your project.
- Getting Started is a Breeze: With this machine, you won’t find yourself staring at a complicated piece of machine, which we believe is very intimidating for beginners. There are built-in tutorial videos and online sources that you can check for ways on how to start using this unit. Because of these, you don’t have to worry about making a mistake as you go along your project since you’re free to use these videos as a guide whenever you find yourself a little confused on how each feature works.
- A Basic, User-Friendly Unit: In addition to the quick start guide, the way the functions are presented makes them easy to navigate even for anyone who has very little or zero experience with sewing machines. There are basic features that should be enough in completing an embroidery or sewing project.
We have noticed a few things worth mentioning about this product, which may be worth looking into before you buy it, and they are:
- Not for heavy fabric: Keep in mind that this unit is built for lighter fabric or cloth, so if you’re planning on using denim or some heavier materials for your project, better not do it to avoid causing damages to the machine.
- Wrinkling or constricting of other fabric: If you hoop the fabric, avoid stretching it, particularly with polyester; otherwise, this will pucker and get a less-than-perfect outcome.
- Problem with threading: It can get tricky to thread properly unless you’ve done this a few times after reading the manual. This is why you should have the user’s manual close to you when you’re performing a task that’s new to you. It’s the only way to master the technique and not have to worry about checking the manual too frequently in the future.
Overall, the Brother SE 400 is a true value for your money. Sure, it has a few issues, but the benefits it offers outweigh all of these. You can be sure that this machine is one dependable unit for your embroidery and sewing needs.
- Don't forget to get some good sewing machine oil!
Best Home Embroidery Machines: Our Recommendations
Embroidery is never a cheap pastime but it can be a potential business, and it has even made its way to fashion runways. However, before you get any profit, the initial investment in the right product is paramount.
So, if you are looking for the finest option for embroidery machine in the market, here’s a rundown of some of the best embroidery machines that would work in your favor. Let’s take a closer look at their features, pros, and cons to help you come up with a better decision.
1. Brother LB6800PRW Project Runway Computerized Embroidery and Sewing Machine
If you want to unleash your design potential in embroidery, the Brother LB6800PRW Project Runway Computerized Embroidery and Sewing Machine is a great option for you. With enhanced computer connectivity, you would be able to import your designs directly from your computer without any hassle.
The machine is loaded with 67 sewing stitches and 98 stitch options to match your style. Other remarkable features include the built-in embroidery thread cutter, high-end needle threading system, and LCD touchscreen.
Upon purchase, you’ll get a bilingual user manual and a fashion rolling bag to spare you from the hassle or sewing classes and workshops. Additionally, it comes with a 25-year, limited manufacturer warranty, plus a lifetime phone support.
- Versatile: With its specialized embroidery patterns and various stitch functions, you can easily come up with a variety of creative fonts and patterns, depending on your personal preference.
- Precise: With simple letter selection, you can now seamlessly create a customized message on any piece of cloth. Plus, the backlit LCD design allows you to have a clear and accurate view of your works.
- Great speed control: Another perk of this product is that it allows you to sew even faster. Thanks to its variable speed slider.
- A bit expensive: If you’re looking for a cheap embroidery option, the Brother LB6800PRW Project Runway machine could not be an ideal choice for you. With its high-end computerized features, expect it to be a bit pricey.
- Quite overwhelming for beginners: With a myriad of high-end features, beginners may find it a bit overwhelming. If you really want to master it though, you must focus on the provided manual.
If you want to show your creativity in embroidery, the Brother LB6800PRW Project Runway Computerized Embroidery and Sewing Machine is the top option for you. With so many amazing features, you won’t have to settle for less.
2. Brother PE525 Embroidery Machine
If you’re looking for a versatile yet affordable embroidery machine, Brother PE525 Embroidery Machine is a great option. This machine is designed with ideal features that make your pastime easy and fun. Not to mention its custom fashion design and lettering.
This unit has seven built-in designs as well as five font styles for monogramming and lettering. With a 4” by 4” embroidery area, you can now embellish more custom designs for clothing. It also has computer connectivity features for seamless digital embroidery as well as an easy-to-use touchscreen.
- Quality stitches: High-quality stitching has always been the hallmark of the PE series. Hence, with this unit, you can make your embroidery products more awesome and long-lasting.
- Downloadable designs: With its computer connectivity feature, you would be able to download a limitless number of creative designs from the internet.
- Affordable: With its impressively low price, you can now save a lot without compromising creativity and quality.
- Small embroidery area: The working area of this machine is ideal for small things, but if you are very serious when it comes to embroidery, you might need a better machine with at least a 5” x 7” embroidery area.
- Embroidery only: As the name implies, this product is only good for embroidery. You may look for other options if you can afford a combo machine.
Rounding up, the Brother PE525 Embroidery Machine can be a great option for newbies. With its high-quality stitches and computer connectivity features, among others, you can now experience an easy and fun embroidery. It has a few demerits but were easily outweighed by the benefits.
3. Brother PE540D Embroidery Machine
If you are looking for lovely Disney embroidery design patterns, the Brother PE540D Embroidery Machine can be an excellent bargain for you. The most appealing feature of this embroidery machine is the wide array of preloaded designs.
To meet your creativity, there are up to 105 designs, which include 35 Disney characters you can choose from. Aside from that, this machine can connect to a computer via USB cables, so you would be able to import additional designs from your PC’s. Since it is compatible with iBroidery.com, you can choose from 5,000 available design options.
It also comes with five embroidery lettering and 120 frame patterns. This machine can embroider at a maximum speed of 400 stitches per minutes. It’s also designed with an LCD monitor that has a very intuitive menu. What is better is that the interface is easy to use and is packed with on-screen support and built-in languages.
- User-friendly: Whether you are a newbie or seasoned folk in embroidery, this machine can spare you from the hassle of using magnifying glasses and tweezers. It has automatic needle threader, leaving you a seamless embroidery experience.
- Massive storage for embroidery designs: Unleash the beauty of your creations through a well-diversified selection of designs. This machine comes with a memory card slot that expands space for all your designs.
- Disney patterns: If you’re an avid fan of Disney patterns, this amazing product is the best-answered prayer for you. It just needs a bit of creativity, and you can transform an original piece of clothing into something awesome.
- A bit expensive: As a high-end embroidery machine with a number of decorative designs, you would expect to pay a higher amount, so, you might not actually love it if you are tight on budget.
- Embroidery area is not ideal for hardcore professionals: If you are a beginner in embroidery, you might find the Brother PE540D Embroidery Machine a big help for you. However, if you are into a more serious embroidery business, the limited area might not be pleasing at all.
In spite of the few drawbacks, the Brother PE540D Embroidery Machine can still be a great choice for you. For Disney design lovers, this product will surely make you smile.
Different Types of Embroidery Machines
As humans, we have an abstraction quality, which means that we want to see the results instead of the process of making such results happen. For example, we see lots of beautiful stitched portraits on the wall, as well as designs on the quilts and bed sheets at our home, but we never bother to know how they are made—we just appreciate its beauty.
Definitely, not each of them is made by hand because it is not possible to make such tiny designs on the piece of cloth with naked eyes and manual tools. To make those beautiful designs and patterns, it requires a machine to make life easier for the maker. These machines are called embroidery machines, and they are usually used to create patterns or designs on different textiles.
There are different types of embroidery machines available depending on the type of work and requirement. But the basics before owning an embroidery machine remains the same, and that is you should look for machines that offer automatic thread tension, consistent speed, and autopilot functions.
Embroidery machines are mainly classified into two broad categories:
- Single Head, single-needle machine
- Single head, multi-needle machine
A. Single head, Single-needle Machine
What it offers:
This type of embroidery machine is more like traditional sewing machines since they also have a flatbed bottom plus a removable embroidery unit. It is easier to use for general sewing and embroidery, as well as to create more complex designs and patterns because of its less complicated design.
This machine has only one head which consists of the needle, bobbin, thread, and other metal parts. When the machine is embroidering, the needle tends to stay still, and the embroidery arm moves according to the digitized design.
As compared to machines which have multiple heads, single head, single-needle machines contain only one hoop attachment and are smaller in terms of capabilities. The sizes in which they are available are 4 x 4 inches, 5 x 7 inches, 6 x 10 inches, and 8 x 12 inches, with speed varying between 300 and 1000 stitches per minute.
- User-friendly and smart: With technology booming in every field, machines have also benefited a lot. The machine helps the user get the latest designs available. It acts like a minicomputer, which allows the user to plug in the USB and load the design according to the need and wish.
- Affordable and accessible: With built-in technologies, the price should be high, but in this case, it’s the opposite since these machines are available at an affordable price. Likewise, these machines are easily available in the local retail markets and online marketplaces.
- Limited design and features: Though the design of this machine enables the user for easy handling, sometimes it causes problems due to its limited design and features. Changing the threads at each color stop is necessary, which is quite time-consuming for the user. Also, in a single-needle machine, the embroidery hoop actually attaches to the machine and is always placed underside of the fabric or item to be embroidered
- Cannot perform other types of embroidery: Tabular embroidery is brilliant and something that is very hard to achieve on a home-style single-needle machine.
- Inconsistent speed: Single-needle machines don’t always stitch at full speed. Sometimes, they slow down at specific areas of a design, so, while stitching the satin, the longer the satin is, the slower the speed of the machine becomes.
B. Single Head, Multi-needle Machine
What it offers:
When you switch from a single-needle to a multi-needle machine, the change can be felt straight away. For one, the quality of work provided by the multi-needle is higher than the single-needle.
Another is that, in general, this type of machine offers four to 10 needles, which solves the problem of changing the thread for each color since each needle can hold a separate color of thread. As such, this saves the time and effort of the users and help them work in full flow.
Additionally, unlike single-needle machines, this machine offers two hoop attachments and often has larger hoop capabilities. Sizes of the hoops available are 4 x 4 inches, 5 x 7 inches, 6 x 10 inches, 8 x 14 inches, and 14 x 14 inches, with an embroidery speed varying from 400 to 1000 stitches per minute.
The embroidery hoop is fundamentally the most important accessory of multi-needle machines. The hoop design between the single-needle and the multi-needle is staggering, and though they look the same and serve similar purposes, the multi-needle machines are a step ahead.
Single-needle embroidery machines hoops offer only one point of attachment to the machine, which provides less stability and control over the embroidery. This kind of design also allows the hoop to slightly pivot or move during embroidery, which can be the reason for the errors in the design.
On the other hand, the multi-needle hoops clip onto a U shaped frame driver, attaching them into two locations. This allows more hoop stability, which can result in more precise and fine patterns and designs.
- Faster multi-color design accomplishment: Due to its multi-needle features, completing a multicolor task is faster and easier, as well as greater precision than most single-needle machines.
- Ability to embroider small items quickly: The additional hoop add more wings to this machine, so it is possible to embroider man’s shirt and back jean pockets, as well as up the leg of a pair of jeans or a sleeve, without having to rip off the pocket or ripping up the seam of a pair of jeans. This feature lures more user to go for these machines rather than the single one.
- Quite expensive: Dues to some additional features, they are a bit costly than their predecessors.
- Speed is not as good as you would expect: As compared with the machine’s features and characteristics, the speed per minute is still under par. In fact, it offers the same speed as the single-needle machines.
How to Choose the Best Embroidery Machine
Embroidery machines are great for things like adding attractive hems on pillowcases and duvet covers, as well as for adding a customized flourish to your favorite shirt or skirt.
In order to get the best results from your embroidering, you will, of course, need to get the best machine for you. To help out, we will explain briefly some of the things that you need to look for when purchasing an embroidery machine.
1. Ease of use
One of the main reasons why people choose to embroider using a machine is the fact that it makes the work far easier and quicker. An embroidery machine takes all of the hard work and worries about constantly counting stitches out of embroidery while still retaining all of the creative aspects of embroidering, making this past time so enjoyable.
Hence, one key thing to look for in an embroidery machine is how easy it is to use. This is an especially important consideration for people who are just starting to venture on machine embroidery or use the machine.
Basic features to keep an eye out for in this regard include automatic needle threading, automatic tension control, auto thread cutting, and quick-set bobbins (which load the thread into the machine and get it ready for embroidering as efficiently as possible).
There are also many computerized embroidery machines that offer user-friendly features, such as:
- LCD touch screens that you can use to type in large, intricate designs
- WiFi capabilities that give you the ability to download a pattern to your machine straight from the internet and let the machine get to work straight away.
2. What You Are Going to Use the Embroidery Machine For
Embroidery machines come in different shapes and sizes, which means that some are designed for small personal projects while others are perfectly capable of handling industrial levels of fabric and thread.
A machine designed for occasional, personal embroidery projects, such as making monogrammed handkerchiefs for friends and family, will wear out more quickly, especially if you try to use it to handle larger scale embroidery projects. So, if you would like to buy an embroidery machine that will enable you to add some cool embroidered touches to the products that you sell as part of a medium sized handmade clothing business, it is important to get a machine that is designed for this purpose.
On the other hand, using a large, industrial-sized embroidery machine for personal projects may make things more difficult. These machines can often feel too unwieldy and clunky in the hands of people who just want to do a little machine embroidery for fun, especially if they are beginners in the world of embroidery.
3. Your Skill Level
If you are already proficient at sewing with a machine, you may find counting stitches in your head, threading the needle, and winding the bobbin a total breeze. You may even be of the opinion that it is better for you to do these tasks yourself, as you like things done your own way. However, if you are a total beginner, it is advisable to pick a machine that makes life easier for you, allowing you to concentrate on the fun part of embroidering.
If you are a beginner, you will probably want to invest in an embroidery machine that is easy to set up, and that has a large number of automatic functions. Also, try and choose an embroidery machine that is very user-friendly and intuitive to use.
Those are the ones that just have a few simple buttons to press before you can start embroidering. You never know, your beginner’s embroidery machine may end up being your companion for life. But, if you want to, you can always swap it for a more complex model in the future.
4. Ergonomic Design
This may not seem like an essential aspect of selecting an embroidery machine, but if you are going to spend any substantial amount of time hunched over your machine, it is a good idea to ensure that it is comfortable to use.
It is recommended that you get a machine that works well with your hands and posture. Also, make sure that it will fit on your desk (or wherever you plan to do embroidery), as well as easy to pick up and move around, just in case you need to. When you are entering the third hour of a long and complex embroidery project, you will thank us for this little tip.
5. Range of Settings
Many embroidery machines come with built-in memory and a variety of different settings that you can tap into and use to create some common designs quickly and easily. These include hems, buttonholes, collars, and flowers.
If you plan to use your machine to do something specific, such as embroider buttonholes for shirts on a regular basis, then it is certainly worthwhile casting your eye quickly over the range of settings that come ready to use with your machine.
Now you know what to look for when purchasing an embroidery machine, do you want to know where these machines came from?
We may think of embroidery machines as new inventions. Yes, in the case of computerized embroidery machines, this is certainly true. However, you may be surprised to learn that the first mechanical embroidery device was created way back in the late nineteenth century.
In the 1820s, a French inventor called Josue Heilmann created a machine that could embroider a piece of fabric when a person turned its handle. So, when you purchase your new embroidery machine, you are taking part in several centuries of embroidery history. That thought will surely spur your creativity!
What can you do with an embroidery machine?
There are tons of applications for embroidery. While you can embroider pretty much any fabric and for any reason, most folks use them for two main reasons:
With a decent embroidery machine(and the proper needles and thread of course) you can make some really neat designs on hats. Personalized hats are a huge business and they cost a lot at stores, so why not do it at home, right?
Another popular use for embroidery is monogramming. You can monogram your initials onto your favorite shirt, and monogramming in general also makes for a great gift idea for almost anyone and any occasion!
Choosing the best embroidery machine can get a little tricky if you don’t know what you want and need. The expensive models are bound to have high-end features, but if you’re only trying to learn the art of embroidery, then you might not need to spend thousands of dollars on a machine.
Looking at the features and its value for money, the Brother PE770 Embroidery Machine is the best product on our list. It is also the #1bestseller on Amazon in its category, and it has rightly earned the title with its magnificent features.
A similar product on our list which just fails to top the list is the SINGER Futura XL-400 Embroidery Machine. It’s another affordable machine on our list that allows multi-hooping and seamless designing but falls short when compared to the number of built-in designs. Also, it’s not programmable.
On the other side of the coin, if you’re looking for a big-budget embroidery machine, then there’s no competition to the Janome MB-4N. It’s pricey, and not everyone can even think about getting it, but if you can afford it, then you are going to enjoy this product from an amateur state to a master level.